When winter arrives, you need a fully functioning furnace to keep your house comfortable all season. If your unit is no longer heating your home to the temperature set on the thermostat, or it’s not operating as efficiently as it should be, you need help from an expert. Call Befort Plumbing & Heating for furnace repairs in Aurora, CO. A family-owned company, we offer 24-hour repair services.
Is it time to replace your malfunctioning furnace? Contact us to learn about our furnace installation services.
How To Properly Maintain Your Furnace
One of the best ways to keep your furnace working correctly all winter is to keep it properly maintained throughout the year. Some tasks you should perform on the unit regularly are:
- Schedule a yearly inspection with a professional in the late spring or early fall.
- Change the filter at least every three months.
- Install a carbon monoxide monitor. This should be inspected by a professional during your annual tune-up.
- Have a heating contractor inspect your furnace ducts to ensure they are sealed properly.
- Check the blower for any obstructions. If needed, apply lubrication.
- Inspect the inside of the furnace chamber for defects that could include rust, holes, and separated seams.
- Clean the burners with fresh water to remove dust and dirt.
- Clean the sensor and pilot with a wire brush and emery cloth.
- Check the “high limit” to prevent overheating.
- Check the gas meter to monitor the rate of fuel usage.
- Clean the area around the furnace to keep it free from debris.
Signs You Need Furnace Repair
In the middle of winter, it’s important to have your furnace function as expected. To avoid having it break down, watch for these signs that can indicate you need to schedule repairs with a professional:
- Short cycling: If your system runs for less than three minutes before turning off, it can indicate a malfunctioning heat exchanger or a broken thermostat.
- Irregular flames: If the flames are uneven or lean toward the back of the furnace it can indicate a cracked heat exchanger, which can lead to serious problems. If you notice this, you should call a professional immediately.
- Unusual sounds: If you hear rumbling, popping, or whistling coming from the unit it can indicate a number of issues that should be inspected by a professional.
- Cracked heat exchanger: This can lead to a serious issue like a carbon monoxide leak. This should be inspected by a professional as soon as possible as it can cause serious health issues for your household. If you suspect you have a leak you should evacuate your property and then seek professional help.
Are you looking for an alternative heating system in your house? Contact us to learn about our radiant heating services.
Easy Ways To Make Your Furnace More Energy Efficient
While it’s essential to keep your house warm all winter, it can also take a toll on your utility bill. Fortunately, there are ways to save money by making your unit more energy-efficient:
- Install a programmable thermostat. This will provide better climate control.
- Check your air ducts to ensure there are no leaks.
- Properly insulate your home to keep the warm air in and the cold air out.
- Perform regular maintenance on the system at least once a year.
- Change the air filters regularly.
- Open the curtains or shades to let sunlight in to add heat to your home.