Your septic tank can be an out-of-sight-out-of-mind system on your property - until it malfunctions. Issues with your unit can put your family’s health at risk and can cause damage to your property. To avoid these potential problems, call Befort Plumbing & Heating for septic tank repairs and replacements in Aurora, CO. We have been a family-owned and operated company since 1957.
Does your basement flood during heavy storms? Avoid water damage to your Aurora home. Contact us to learn about our sump pump services.
Causes of Septic Tank Issues
Unfortunately, occasionally your septic tank might encounter issues that require repairs. Some problems that can cause it to malfunction are:
- Sludge buildup.
- Not emptying out a tank. This can cause it to backup.
- As it gets older your tank can deteriorate.
- Lines can become blocked in the drain field.
- Wear and tear on drain fields.
How Often Your Septic Tank Should Be Maintained
To keep your septic tank working correctly, it’s important to perform regular maintenance. You should have services performed at the following times to keep it working properly:
- If the tank is one-third full.
- At least once a year. Your unit may need to be serviced more often depending on how many people live in the household, how much water is used, and if you have a jacuzzi or hot tub. It can also vary depending on the ages of people living in your property - as teenagers and younger people may use more water than other age groups.
Make sure the water your family is drinking is safe and pure. Learn about our water filtration system services.
How To Prevent Septic Tank Issues
A malfunctioning septic tank can cause damage to your property and create inconveniences for your household. To avoid these problems, use the following tips:
- Don’t pour grease down the sink or toilet. This can cause clogs in the drain field.
- When planning your property, position landscaping, roof gutters and foundation drains so water flows away from the drain field.
- Keep the drain field from becoming water-logged.
- Clear the area around the tank of tree roots and concrete structures like driveways or patios.
- Don’t flush solid materials like coffee grounds or banana peels down the toilet.
- Schedule regular service appointments with a professional.
- Avoid using household cleaning products like bleach and drain cleaners.