There is a tell-tale sign that your air conditioner’s evaporator coil needs to be serviced. A musty smell in your house while the unit is running. If you notice this odor, schedule professional repairs as soon as possible. Call Befort Plumbing & Heating for appointments in Aurora, CO. In business since 1957, our experts have the experience to get your AC unit up and running again to restore comfort to your house -- without an odor.
Schedule yearly routine maintenance on your air conditioner to keep it running properly. Call us to learn about our air conditioning repair services in Aurora.
Benefits of Timely Evaporator Coil Services
Without a functioning evaporator coil, your air conditioner cannot properly cool your house. Because of this, it’s important to schedule repairs with an expert as soon as possible. Some of the advantages of having the unit repaired quickly can include:
- Money savings: Detecting an issue with your component early can allow you to possibly repair the component instead of replacing it, or catch the problem while the part is still covered under warranty. If the component needs a major repair, you should ask the technician if it is more cost-effective to replace the part rather than repair it.
- Increased comfort: Getting your unit repaired in a timely manner can help you avoid interruptions in the usage of your air conditioning system.
- Energy reduction: Having the unit repaired ASAP can allow you to save energy. When the coil malfunctions the AC system might continue to run, but the unit will use more energy than usual to try to keep the house at a comfortable temperature.
Common Problems With Evaporator Coils
Given the location of your evaporator coil, it’s not likely a component you check each day to see how it’s performing. Because of this, it’s important to watch for these common problems your unit might encounter:
- Refrigerant leaks: If you have a leak you should have it inspected by a professional. The expert can determine if there is an issue and how much coolant should be added to the system.
- Unpleasant odors: If you notice a foul smell in your home it can be due to bacteria and mold build up on the coil. This can be caused by moisture collecting on the component.
- Frozen coils: If water remains on coils for too long it can freeze, as the components are typically around 32° F. The frozen water can cause the blades to coat with ice, which can cause problems for the AC unit.
If you notice any of these issues, call Befort Plumbing & Heating to have our professionals inspect and repair the problem.
Is your air conditioner nearing the end of its life expectancy? Before it completely malfunctions, contact us to learn about our air conditioning installation services.
Maintenance Tasks To Perform on Evaporator Coils
To keep your evaporator coil working properly, there are some maintenance tasks you can perform on the unit. These can include:
- Make sure the coils are clean and dry.
- Remove debris that comes into contact with the component.
- Have the air conditioning unit serviced at least once a year, preferably before the summer months.
- Check the air ducts for clogs or leaks.
- Have the component inspected during your annual AC tune-up to check for any potential problems.
- Clean or change the air filters regularly, ideally at least every one to three months. Dirty or clogged filters can reduce the efficiency of the unit, increase the operating cost, and lessen the indoor air quality.
- Check for blocked filters, as these can be dangerous if they are suctioned out of position and interfere with the blower assembly.